Academic Board is responsible for the academic leadership of research, scholarship, teaching and courses at the University.
Subject to provisions of the University's Articles of Government, the Board is responsible for:
- General issues relating to the research, scholarship, teaching and courses at the University, including criteria for the admission of students, the appointment and removal of internal and external examiners, policy and procedures for assessment and examination of the academic performance of students, the content of the curriculum, academic standards and the validation and review of courses, the procedures for the award of qualifications and honorary academic titles, and the procedures for the expulsion of students for academic reasons (such responsibilities are subject to requirements of validating and accrediting bodies where appropriate)
- Considering the development of the academic activities of the University and the resources needed to support them and for advising the Vice-Chancellor and the Board of Governors thereon
- Advising on such matters as the Board of Governors or the Vice-Chancellor may refer to the Academic Board.
Academic Board membership
- Professor Sue Rigby – Vice-Chancellor (Chair)
- Professor Neil Sammells – Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Provost (Deputy Chair)
- Mr Dan Allen - Assistant Dean, Bath School of Art and Design*
- Professor Georgina Andrews - Dean, Bath Business School*
- Ms Alison Baud – Director of Library and Learning Services
- Ms Kerry Curtis – Associate Dean, Bath School of Art and Design**
- Professor Paul Davies – Vice-Provost (Learning and Teaching Quality)
- Dr Darren Garside - Senior Lecturer, Education Studies, Institute for Education*
- Mr Ryan Lucas - President, Students' Union
- Ms Meghann McKeague – Vice-President Education, Students’ Union
- Professor Steve May – Provost, College of Liberal Arts
- Professor Andy Salmon – Executive Dean, College of Liberal Arts
- Professor Kate Reynolds – Executive Dean, Institute for Education
- Professor John Strachan – Vice-Provost (Research and Enterprise)
- Professor Anita Taylor – Executive Dean, Bath School of Art and Design
- Dr Mary Stakelum – Head of Postgraduate Programmes, Institute for Education**
Dr Charles Wiffen – Assistant Dean, College of Liberal Arts**
- Mr Simon Packard – Postgraduate student representative
- Mr Christopher Ellicott – Registrar and Director of Student Services (Secretary).
* Elected member until 31 August 2018
** Elected member until 31 August 2019
Academic Board subcommittees
Academic Board fulfils many of its responsibilities through an infrastructure of executive sub-committees. The Vice-Chancellor is an ex-officio member of all sub-committees of the Academic Board.
- Mitigating Circumstances Committee
- Subject Examination Boards
- Unfair Practice Committee
- Higher Degrees (Research) Committee
- Higher Degrees (Taught) Committee
Learning and Teaching Committee:
- E-learning Committee
- Modular Scheme Committee
- Research, Consultancy and Scholarship Committee
- School Boards.