We take our responsibility to protect the environment very seriously.
Bath Spa University has participated in the People and Planet Green League table since 2009, achieving two top 10 positions in that time.
The University was ranked 1st out of 46 universities participating in the Student Barometer (a survey conducted around the world) in the Autumn Wave 2016 for “Eco-friendly attitude”.
We manage our environmental impacts through the internationally recognised standard ISO14001, which specifies requirements for an effective environmental management system (EMS) covering all activities and sites. Our environmental manual sets out how we comply with the standard.
This survey helps us understand staff and student commuting choices, which we use to help improve services where we can.
Take the survey
Terms and conditions - food shopping voucher prize draw
- We are Bath Spa University Students’ Union & Bath Spa University.
- Entry into the free-prize draw (“Draw”) is subject to these rules and is open to Bath Spa University students and staff as defined by Bath Spa University. Proof of student/staff status may be required to claim any prize and completed questionnaires will only be accepted from current to Bath Spa University students and staff.
- The prize draw administrator of Bath Spa University Students’ Union (and their families) and their agents are not eligible for entry.
- To be entered into the Draw you must complete the second optional section of the 2018 Bath Spa University Travel Survey in full and provide a valid [e-mail] address for us to notify you if you win.
- Only one entry per person is permitted and anybody found to have submitted more than one entry will be disqualified.
- There are 2 x £100 vouchers and 6 x £50 Vouchers (or credit to your Fresh Range account) to spend with Fresh Range, a local food online food shopping company. The University will provide 1 x £100 and 3 x £50 to eligible students and 1 x £100 and 3 x £50 as a prize to an eligible staff member.
- Winners will need to set up a Fresh Range account (if they do not already have one) and the credit will be applied once you inform the Sustainability team of your details. If your home address falls outside of the current Fresh Range delivery zone, you can instead have your order delivered to either Newton Park or Sion Hill. If your work base is Corsham Court we arrange delivery with you.
- The winners will be chosen at random by Bath Spa University Students’ Union, using the media theme draw software.
- The winner of the prize draw at their discretion may choose to donate the value of their voucher to a charity of their choice.
- The closing date for the draw is 23.59hrs on the 4th March 2018. Only entries received by that date will be entered into the Draw. We will not be responsible for delays in entries reaching us caused by factors outside the control of Bath Spa University Students’ Union or Bath Spa University.
- The winner will be notified by email with their prize on or before 16th April 2018 and the winner’s names will be displayed on bathspasu.co.uk for fourteen days after the date of the draw.
- To obtain the name of the winner send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The decision of our Union Executive in all matters under our control is final and binding. No correspondence regarding the results of the draw will be entered into.
- We reserve the right to terminate or suspend the prize draw at any time.
- We reserve the right to publish the prize winner’s name and/or pictures for future publicity and promotions.
- Should the winner not wish to take part in publicity and promotions, they have the right to refuse the prize and the prize draw shall be redrawn.
- Any questions regarding these Terms and Conditions, the questionnaire or the Draw must be in writing to Travel Survey Competition, Bath Spa University Students’ Union, Newton Park, Bath, BA2 9BN.
We control our main environmental risks using these Operational Procedures:
Our Sustainability Policy sets out the aim to minimise our impacts and continually improve environmental performance, and our Sustainability Strategy shows how we will deliver this focused on seven key themes:
Education for a sustainable future
- Biodiversity Action Plan Resume
- Carbon reduction Management Plan
- Construction and refurbishment Action Plan Resume
- Energy and Carbon Action Plan Resume
- Emissions and Discharges Action Plan Resume
- Waste Management Action Plan Resume
- Waste and recycling information for staff (Intranet - requires log-in)
- Waste and recycling information for students (Intranet - requires log-in)
- Water Action Plan Resume.
Health and wellbeing
The Student’s Union at Bath Spa also has a strong sustainable and ethical ethos and they have signed up to the NUS Green Impact Award.
Environmental Steering Group
The Environmental Steering Group (ESG) is responsible for:
- Overseeing the direction of sustainability at Bath Spa
- Reviewing relevant policies and strategies
- Reporting compliance of environmental audits along with recommendations and corrective actions
- Changes in aspects, impacts and changes
- Briefed on any changes to environmental legislation that affect the business
- Reporting on how the University meets its objectives and targets
- Reviews complaints and incidents.
Environmental Steering Group Members
Neil Latham – Chief Operating Officer - Chair of ESG
Andy Williams – Deputy Head of Estates and Services
Arlene Stone – Director of Human Resources
Christopher Ellicott – Registrar and Director of Student Services
David Watson – Head of Field: Culture and Environment - CoLA
Jane Wakefield – Head of Communications
John Beaver – Director of Information Technology Services
Julian Greaves – Sustainability Manager
Kate Rigby – Professor of Environmental Humanities – Research and Graduate Affairs
Kerry Curtis – Assistant Dean BSAD
Louise Thacker – Students' Union Representative (Environment
and Ethics Group)
Mark McGuinness – Assistant Dean: Strategy and Planning - CoLA
Richard Jordan – Head of Estates
Sara Cundy – Sustainability Co-ordinator
Sarah Dawes – Chief Executive Officer Students’ Union
Susan Hammond – Student Experience and Enterprise Manager
In attendance/circulation of papers
Jane Conibere – PA to Chief Operating Officer (Minutes)
Meet the Sustainability Team
- Neil Latham – Chief Operating Officer
Chair of the Environmental Steering Group and overall responsibility for the University's sustainability strategic direction.
+44 (0)1225 876612
- Julian Greaves – Sustainability Manager.
Developing the University’s Sustainability Strategy, Energy and Environmental Management.
+44 (0) 1225 875846
- Sam Henderson – Energy Performance Officer
Energy data analysis, BMS Optimisation, Support for Sustainability Manager
+44 (0) 1225 875846
- Sara Cundy – Sustainability Co-ordinator
Support for EMS Manager, lead officer for sustainable transport, food, Fairtrade, Environmental activities and programmes communications, staff and student engagement, working with Student Community Partnership.
+44 (0)1225 876282
- Laura Faulkner – Sustainability Assistant
Assisting Sustainability Team generally, with specific responsibility for Warp-it and car-share
+44 (0)1225 876325
- Michael Tarran – Assistant Manager, Portering
Key role in directing waste and recycling operations, responsible for maintaining waste records
+44 (0)1225 875765
- David Tinkham – Technical Manger, Bath School of Art and Design (BSAD)
Operational management, co-ordinating protocols for environmental protection at Sion Hill and BSAD satellite sites including hazardous waste management.
+44 (0)1225 875475
- Penny Snowden – Grounds Manager
Grounds management, implementation of Biodiversity and Habitat Management Plan, pollution prevention
+44 (0)1225 876249
- Ceri Davies – Technical Demonstrator, College of Liberal Arts (COLA)
Responsible for hazardous waste at Newton Park
- Kate Rigby – Professor of Environmental Humanities
Education for a Sustainable Future Lead
+44 (0)1225 875626
- Green Communicators – Student Employees
Communicating sustainability issues to their peers.
Please sign-up with the JobShop to be notified of any upcoming vacancies to the team.
- Green Communicator – Student Placement
Sustainability related project work: every year we offer the opportunity for a current student to spend an extended period of time working with the team on a specific project related to Sustainability at Bath Spa. Please contact Sara Cundy for more information.