We aim to provide suitable accommodation to meet all access and support needs.

View our accessibility guides

Tell us your needs

You’ll be able to tell us about your access needs on your accommodation application form. We also advise that you arrange a visit to campus to discuss your needs in person; you’ll be contacted by a Student Support Advisor to arrange this.

If you disclose a medical condition or disability and have specific accommodation requirements, we’ll contact you during your first term of study and ask you if you would like to apply for university halls for your second year. All applications and requirements are considered on an individual basis.

Please note, we use the term disability to cover a range of impairments, medical conditions, mental health issues and specific learning differences. Many conditions have implications for accommodation in terms of equipment, support and facilities. We strongly advise you to tell us about any conditions that you have so we can work with you to make appropriate arrangements and necessary adjustments.

Please do contact us, if you have any questions or queries.

Financial Support

If you need a specific type of accommodation due to your access needs, such as an en-suite or self-contained studio, it is sometimes possible to obtain the difference between the cost through the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).

This type of recommendation has to be made to Student Finance through a DSA Needs Assessment. If your support needs are more complex and involve carer support you may require a social services assessment. If you are in receipt of DLA (Disability Living allowance) or PIP (Personal Independence Payment) it is likely this will continue while you are a student and you’ll be able to claim Housing Benefit. Our Student Support Service can provide advice and guidance with this: studentsupport@bathspa.ac.uk


Fridge for medication

If you need a fridge in your accommodation to store your medication, this provision is available on request, but may only be possible in certain types of accommodation. Please ensure you give full details of your requirements on your accommodation application form. Funding for a personal fridge, for medication purposes, may be available through the DSA.

Alerting devices

If you have a hearing impairment and need alerting devices in your accommodation we have devices that you can use. Please give detail on your accommodation application form and Student Support will be in touch to discuss further.

Accommodation for carers

There is accommodation available on the Newton Park Campus for students who have 24/7 carers. However, we will need to discuss your needs with you, so do make sure you explain your requirements fully on your housing application.

Quieter options

If your medical condition/disability means you need a quiet living environment, there are a number of options, including private accommodation in the city. Depending on your needs, there may be options on campus. Please explain on your application form and an advisor will be in touch to discuss further.

Progressing from a partner college

If you’re progressing from a partner college and have a medical condition/disability, please make sure you get in contact with the Accommodation team early in the year prior to progressing, so we can discuss your requirements and clarify your options.

Edit section | Website feedback to web@bathspa.ac.uk